I got stuck into some sewing between Christmas and new year. The experience can be best summed up with the words "use it or lose it". From primary school onwards I have sewn clothes for myself and I have considered myself a proficient (as described by the Dreyfus taxonomy of skill acquisition) sewer for many years. However, I have not sewn much for the last five or six years and my recent projects have reinforced how much my skills have dropped away! The good thing is that they will come back quickly once I start using them regularly again.
My first project was a simple pair of pj pants and my second a sleeveless top to wear on NYE. Both finished at a competent level (more Dreyfus), but only just. The sewing was fine, but the pattern-making and adjusting were trickier. I took the pattern for the pants off an old pair and the top was very fitted and I needed to adjust it quite a bit from the pattern to make sure the fit was great. By the time I finished adjusting the top I wasn't sure why I had even started with a pattern! I did enjoy looking at internet lessons on how to sew darts and picked up some great tips. Best of all, by the end of it I had pj pants without holes and a new, summery top to wear to see in 2012.
On the cooking front, I made great dessert of stewed peaches and ice cream served on panettone toast with peach sauce and maple syrup. YUMMY. It was inspired by a Gourmet Traveller recipe for peach pie and I really should have taken a photo.
My first project was a simple pair of pj pants and my second a sleeveless top to wear on NYE. Both finished at a competent level (more Dreyfus), but only just. The sewing was fine, but the pattern-making and adjusting were trickier. I took the pattern for the pants off an old pair and the top was very fitted and I needed to adjust it quite a bit from the pattern to make sure the fit was great. By the time I finished adjusting the top I wasn't sure why I had even started with a pattern! I did enjoy looking at internet lessons on how to sew darts and picked up some great tips. Best of all, by the end of it I had pj pants without holes and a new, summery top to wear to see in 2012.
On the cooking front, I made great dessert of stewed peaches and ice cream served on panettone toast with peach sauce and maple syrup. YUMMY. It was inspired by a Gourmet Traveller recipe for peach pie and I really should have taken a photo.
No comments:
Post a Comment